News and Blogs..

Arizona's... News and Blogs source with the...'Truth'...

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Barrio Golden Gate

I had a chance to read the book Borderline Americans by Katherine Benton-Cohen. It has very vivid reminders of the past discrimination in the history of Az., that should not be forgotten.

In Morenci, a Copper Mining Community, there were struggles as to how the treatment and pay of  Mexican Miners were in comparison to their White counterparts.

The infamous Bisbee Deportation, was mentioned in this book, where over 1000 Mexican American Miners organized, and took a stand against the Phelps Dodge Corporation. The Company made quick work of these Union Organizers (many US Citizens by this time) by 'deporting' them into the desert in New Mexico.

There is much more the book gets into, though this blog is more about a modern day travesty many may not be aware of.

In the rich cultural history of modern day Metro Phoenix, there has always been diversity. Its hard to tell in a State that has recently set its agenda on demonizing the entire Hispanic Community, by passing laws like the "papers please" law SB1070, and "down on brown education" HB2281 Anti-Mexican American Studies law, Az's attempt at erasing its own history of discrimination towards the Mexican American Community.

In the case of Golden Gate, or so affectionately known by those who were from the predominately Mexican American neighborhood, "Barrio Golden Gate".  The "powers" set it sights on this area to condemn and relocate the residents to other sections of Phoenix.

You see, the "Chicano" neighborhood stood on prime real estate, and progress or "eminent domain", for the purposes of expanding Shy Harbor and the I-10 Fwy. These projects took precedence, over the residence of this area, as profiteers ran the show then, just like they do today.

I got the chance to sit down with a few former residents of the area, and fellow Veteran brothers of American Legion Post-41.

One member, said they were one of the last families to relocate out of the area. The "powers" or in this case those who chose to make the airport expansion and the freeway corridor through this neighborhood instead of somewhere else.., came several times, and to an extent threatened the last family to leave or else.  They increased the funds offered to the residents as time passed, though ultimately they were all required to move.

Today there is little left of the once large, yet tight-nit Barrio, save for the Sacred Heart Parish, which was saved from demolition as a Historical Landmark. The former residents of Golden Gate, hold Mass Vigil at the community church there once a year. (see link). This is the only time and place they can all get together reminisce about their former neighborhood.

I hope by enlightening those who are not aware of the rich history minorities have played in Arizona's past. We hope to not forget and allow mistakes to occur in the future, such as SB1070, and HB2281. Maybe the "powers" will "get it" and understand.... we ARE Arizona, and nothing will they do will change or erase that history.

The residents of "Barrio Golden Gate" will certainly never forget.

Regards,
Truth

12 comments:

  1. I hope that my Sacred Heart Catholic Church of the Golden Gate Barrio posted. It is for all to know that a very important memory, which is a tiny 3x3 in. textured painting/with a bit of history on the backside is available to the community that was once a great part of history but is now dispersed. Write to connied63@live.com for information or call 623 256 8844. Gracias and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were forced out of our homes and our barrio destroyed. I cried when I saw my home of 35 years totally demolished by the wrecking crew.Why? Please keep the holy landmark of Sacred Heart Church(which my dad help construct) intact and preserved so my grandkids can feel and see where their roots stemmed from. Doreen Benavidez GGB FOREvER!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doreen, we lived next door to you. We were both very young. We lived between you and the Lugos in 1963. Your older sister and my sister were about the same age. We were the Velasquez household. I still remember you. Hilda Velasquez

      Delete
  3. Golden Gate was a old place to live .nothing but junk there even today there’s junk .sad but true destroying that place saved lives and who knows how many pepole from that place went to prison .my grandpa lived in that place 16 st .he told me sad story’s of how poor they were living there.well I guess I’m glad that place is gone today all that’s left there is that old chruch .they need to destroy that building and put up somthing nice for the kids .but they won’t .im glad to see a airport there now.time we as Mexicans or just humans black or white knock down these old hoods .and build nicer buildings where the gangs can’t or won’t hang out at..im a gang member myself .so I know what I’m saying.i would sell drugs in Golden Gate .amd cause a lot of problems in that area for years .now that that area is changing I had to relocate my drug bussness to others parts of phx glendale .any way .golden gate was full of dead beats and pooor pepole .niw that we got kicked out that area we me).mived up alittle more in life.cause that area was holding me down .and the area was ugly anyway..nothing but death in that seat by food city .even today that seat is like living in hell...I got fammily living there in 13st buckey and even they won’t out that area .that place is full of bad spirts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry pepole my kuz got into my phone n said all those bad things about Golden Gate .i do t know what he is talking about .i guess he just was writing what he want due to him being on meth .those voices in his head .he got my phone today and figured out my password .sorry for the things he was typing in this blog.keep him in prayer .he is doing meth and drinks smokes weed.i let him live with me not knowing he was on drugs .but today I found out after 3 days living with me..I kicked him out today ..he is 43 years old and still thinks like a kid.sorry once again .god bless

    ReplyDelete
  5. Golden gate wasnt even that bad I grew up their when i was in my teens it was
    Pretty heavy chicano population which is why they decided to build the airport instead of all the other empty desert in Phoenix we all know even in tempe they destroyed a neighborhood like theirs is not a freaking empty desert where u could of build it was AZ getting rid of hispanics like always. never went to church so its werid the last thing from my olf neighborhood is the church time doesnt stop with tht church is weird going back. Glad i Live In Washington now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GGB THAT WAS MY BEAUTIFUL NEIGHBORHOOD I walked barefoot through my barrio all the people around me were so nice I don't know why the meth head is talking about and 13th st on Buckeye was not GGB for yur info. Anyways all the kids played outside when i went to Wilson School I remember the teacher had to stop teaching until the plane would pass hahaha. I would skip all the way from 18th st and Lincoln to 19th St and Ton to to Sacred Heart Church and also went to summer school there to in the back. I loved my barroom never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember all that at Wilson and Skiff. I loved growing up there I was there till 5th grade till they bought us out..

      Delete
  7. how did golden gate get its name

    ReplyDelete
  8. it got its name from a house that was on 16th st in the 1930's they painted their fence gold so when people entered the barrio they would say near the golden gate fence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Golden Gate had it all. Ballroom, restaurants, drive in theatre, grocery stores, schools, churchs, etc. We lived right across the Sacred heart school. My grandmother , uncles, aunts, cousins all lived in the Barrio. Growing up I had no idea we were segregated. I now live in California. When I go to Phoenix I still drive around and check out where I lived. Good memories

    ReplyDelete