News and Blogs..

Arizona's... News and Blogs source with the...'Truth'...

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Barrio La Victoria...


Many aware of Arizona's Cultural history, are aware of the Barrio's that have been part of the history of this State.

There were several from the small Copper Mining Communities such as Clifton, Sonora/Ray, Globe, Miami, Superior, Hayden, Mammoth, etc., not to mention the larger Metro regions like Tucson and Yuma. Though Phoenix by far has the largest and oldest of them all. There are old South Side Neighborhoods like Barrio Cuatro Milpas, Barrio Nuestro, Barrio Chula Vista, Barrio Hayden Park, Barrio Golden Gate (as mentioned in my previous blog), from the West Side--Barrios 9th Street, Hollywood, La Sonorita, El Campito, and several more.

Indeed, the Metro Phoenix area is littered with its enclaves of close-nit Hispanic Communities. Few though, think of Barrios when it comes to the East Side. This side of town is traditionally considered more "conservative" or filled with its share of whites (mostly Mormons), and has been overshadowed for the most part by the larger established "Chicano" Neighborhoods in Phoenix.

Mesa has a few Barrio's as well as the East Valley Town of Guadalupe, which is surrounded and landlocked by Chandler, Ahuatukee, and Tempe.

This blog is about 2 distinctly different Barrios in Tempe..., but forever interlinked.

Most from Tempe and throughout Arizona, are familiar with the largest Barrio in the East Valley...Barrio La Victoria. This Barrio, is nestled between University Blvd and Broadway, Price Road and Dobson. Its is small in comparison to Phoenix area Barrios, though it remains the largest of the Barrios, in the East Valley.

While many original residents still live in La Victoria, many younger generation ...'Gente'... have moved elsewhere. If you were to ask a former resident of where they were from within... "The Vic" (Victory Acres for short), they would proudly reminisce about there former stomping grounds. Though, if you were to ask about Barrio San Pablo aka Barrio Los Amigos, many would give you a deer in the headlights--blank stare.

Barrio San Pablo   is the "original" Barrio of Tempe. Those who would be aware of this neighborhood are those older generation Gente, and were the ones affected by the "relocation". (This is how La Victoria came to be).

Many are not aware that Barrio San Pablo once stood where the Arizona State University Campus (main), stands now. There is little left as far as landmarks or reminders that a Barrio once stood there. Much of the old neighborhood was razed to make room for the ever expanding youth learning mecca.  The only remaining building is the old Catholic Church on the corner of College and University. It was called "Old St. Mary's", and today it has been restored and is used by students and faculty of the ASU Campus.

The original Church used by these residents (before St. Mary's), sits as a foundation footer for Sun Devil Stadium. Nothing else remains save for, the streets on the North side of University, as they remain in the same location for the most part, though intertwined by campus buildings and light rail.

What happened to the residents..?

They were told in no uncertain terms to "get out" or face eminent domain and have their properties condemned just like in Barrio Golden Gate of Phoenix.  Only this time, the "power that be" were afraid of reprisal of the community. They knew many residents had served in the Military and were returning Vets from WW2 and Korea. So they compromised and allowed these residents to remain as part of Tempe--rather than send them out to outlying Metro Phoenix Communities.

These residents were relocated to a former farming area near the outskirts of town--once called Victory Acres. They planned and developed this community for the former residents of San Pablo.

Victory Acres or La Victoria ("La Vic" for short) residents, have once again seen urban growth try to muscle them out of their relocated community.

The Loop 202 Freeway, plowed through the center of the Barrio and cut it in half.

Many are aware of the Logan Heights Barrio of San Diego, where I-5 plowed through the center of it. Only murals remain on the concrete pillars of Chicano Park, as reminder of what was once the community of Logan.

No murals or even a park, was given to the residents of La Victoria, having to once again be targeted for relocation.  In fact little remains, as far as businesses or churches or parks in La Victoria.

Bills Market is one of the few stores where Gente still come to buy goods. Esquer Park is the only park in the hood, and Suzies Mexican Restaurant is the only food eatery left.

I could not find any images of anything of significance from La Victoria, so I took some time to drive around and got a few pics of the neighborhood, to show you what little is left .

I posted some links for those interested in looking into the history further, please feel free to check them out.

I wanted to personally thank, Pete Ruiz a former resident of both Barrios, and fellow Veteran member of American Legion Post-41, for invaluable  insight as tot what occurred and to helping contribute to this blog.


*Footnote to image of what appeared to be a Catholic Church in "La Vic" getting ready for a First Holy Communion Ceremony, this church did not appear on any registry by the Catholic Church..? If any one who knows what this church in La Vic is, Please feel free to enlighten us.

50 comments:

  1. The San Pablo Barrio is better known as "BarrioMickey Mouse" and the Church is St. Margaret's. Q-Vo Truth! This is ~La Phoeniquera~ de FB ~Varrioville~ <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much ..."La"... its been a while since I've heard or seen your FB wall..

      Hope all is well... : )

      Delete
  2. Mr. Frank Gracia was the man who made the Chorizo at Bill's. R.I.P. Pancho Gracia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this about "Franks".. I was not aware he passed away..?

      Very sad that the "iconic" Market in La Vic is no longer making its famous "chorizo".. Have to drive to Superior to find the next closest..

      Delete
    2. He made the best chorizo. I remember my family going there for years to buy some.

      Delete
    3. Oh, R.I.P. I was a little girl who loved that chorizo. I grew up here and miss it everyday. I have been away from home for awhile now and every time someone mentions chorizo, I think of Bill's Market. Missing home

      Delete
    4. Pancho was my Tio. God bless the Gracia family.

      Delete
    5. RIP PANCHO GRACIA
      I'' Alfonso L. Delgado Jr. Y soy de Superio, AZ. This is the first I hear about the passing of Sr. Gracia. My condolences to the family. I would make a trip down to the his market to buy some chorizo. Don't get me wrong, Toñito at Leo's makes a good chorizo, but there was something about that market that made me feel at home. (Please note that I was born & raised aqui en Superio all my life) I learned evetytime I went into that store how much the community loved him.

      Delete
    6. The Chorizo is still being made at Bills Market, for a little while yet, Bills is being sold, so if you want a taste of home better get down and get some...

      Delete
    7. Get it while it's Hot,.....it'll be gone by New Year's,........sadly,

      Delete
  3. Hello my friend! I recieved your message through my Comadre Mary.. :) If you are on FB let me know so I can friend you. One more Fact about La Victoria (Victory Acres) it is the Oldest Barrio in the State of Arizona. :) ~La~

    ReplyDelete
  4. LVL is mostly populated by the BELLO familia (The Pollos) They are ALL great people and take pride in being from La Victoria. They mainly occupy the main crossroad houses in La Victoria which is located at Victory Drive and George Drive better know as "POLLO CAMP". They have always been FIRME people. ~La Loca Loca~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup and the Gutierrez family mi familia

      Delete
  5. The church is St.Margaret's Catholic church

    ReplyDelete
  6. what about the escalante center, its one of the main places in the vic that keeps teens out of trouble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, you can't forget the Escalante Center and Flora Thew School.

      Delete
  7. I parshly grew up in this neighborhood.As I grew up the people were funny, actors, the main factor on this hood is that amongs themself each cat, O.G. they play that gangster part, but in reality out of that neighborhood they walked if not still walk like chicken *hits ratting people out like their some golden bloodline families.Lil Znippar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you actually knew what happened you would not be here writing this about the neighborhood. Yeah theres a few rats and thats why the reals OGs beef with The newbies. So if you dont know, now you know :)

      Delete
  8. howd it get its name?
    is it the victory acres or la victoria locos or the vic

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still in the Vic... Lived here my entire life. Everyone knows everyone. Bills is still my spot every Sunday for chorizo. The best ever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. La Victoria because it is really named Victory Acres .. the gente in the 90's started calling it The Vic. Depends on what generation you talk to and they call it the way they want.. I was the one who started tagging ~ESLV~ East Side La Victoria .. back in 1980 on the block cement bench in front of the Old Center. ~La~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I grew up in Victory Acres, my parents bought their Property on Price Road back in 1944-45. Orginally the boundaries for Victory Acres was University (orginally named Transmission Drive) to Apache and Price to Evergreen. The land was owned by the Tibschraeny's, who then sold it off in residential parcels. He called it Victory Acres, after several victories in World War 2. Several of the streets in the area reflect this as George Drive and MacArthur are named for General George MacArthur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George Drive is not for George MacArthur it is for George Birchett, a Rancher who sold his farm at Southern and Price Rd., George Dr is next to his home which is still there. BTW General MacArthur's first name was Douglas.

      Delete
  12. Nice! Thanks for sharing.. Proud to have grown-up here. My parents still live there so i'm always there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Check-out this site ti learn more about Hispanics History in Tempe !!! City of Tempe, AZ : Hispanic History
    www.tempe.gov
    Tempe History Museum: Tempe History: Hispanic History

    ReplyDelete
  14. The church pictured is Saint Margaret's Catholic church. It and the Apostolic church two blocks north are the only remaining "original churches left...Bills Market is the last of three stores that were located in "La Victoria" which is what the barrio has always been know as, The name "Vic" was used by outsiders due to that fact that so many Anglo people where afraid of this barrio. The Victoria had for a long time been labeled as a place outsiders did not want to venture into! My family the Bello family was one of the original families to settle in the Victoria...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did the gangs turf stretch farther than the actual victory acres or did it end wher the acres stopped?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Much love free Robert Garcia! My cousins are the OG's manny aka Casper and lil bro Monster!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Doing a group project and we decided to focus on a small 1/4 mile area around Bill's Market and Esquer Park. Our objective is to look at neighborhood walkability, transit, public use, and food accessibility and cost and make recommendations. We were thinking about incorporating the Hispanic culture into our recommendations to keep the history of this neighborhood preserved. This was very helpful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say a hi dollar new restaurant in the sun shine complex. I'll run it. That's My part I can give hmu responsible people only

      Delete
  18. Conrad Martin Solarez JrMarch 10, 2014 at 11:17 PM

    My Name is Conrad Solarez Jr, I live in San Jose CA, My Father Conrad Sandez Solarez Sr. came from La Victoria, My Abulito Juan Valencia Solarez owned the land built the church called, " Tempe Lighthouse, Apostolic Assembly, and then donated it to the assembly, today is 3-10-2014, I just came home after visiting my family there in Phoenix, after not seeing them for 28 years, Chandler, Mesa, Tuscon, and Tempe,yes there is a long history of this Barrio, La Victoria!!!, I even smuggled 5 pounds of Bills Chorizo home on the plane today, going to Bill's and getting that Chorizo, brought so many memories when I as a young man visiting La Victoria with my dad when I was young.
    This weekends event to go to La Victoria!!! after all these years was like finding a family member you lost many years ago but were reunited. I love my Dad, rest his soul, I love my family there in the Phoenix area, I Love La Victoria!!! Ahuaaa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looking for my dad Daniel Montoya....?????????

    ReplyDelete
  20. My name is Kathy, I was Kathy Garcia when I lived in La Victoria, My family the Garcia's moved here in the late 1940s-early 1950s. My mother when she divorced my dad (Garcia), married Bill of Bill's Market, he was my stepfather, I worked for him at Bill's Market from the age of 12 years old to 18 years old as cashier. Bill made the Chorizo, Frank Gracia worked there occasionally as did Bill's brother-in-law Felix, and then Bill and his brother worked the store together, when Bill retired and his brother passed, Bill's nephew Bobby bought the store and still has it to this day. My father's family the Garcia's lived on George Dr, I went to Flora Thew school, and freshman at Mcclintock. I lived in La Victoria until I was 11-in 1964, when my mom married Bill of Bill's Market, we moved to the other side of the canal, in Mesa but since my dad's family still lived in La Victoria and I worked at the store I was there everyday. I knew everyone that came into Bill's Market since I worked there everyday after school. I remember everyone new each other and were friends, don't remember gangs at all back then while growing up there and working at the store. It was very poor, we had outhouses, dirt floors, used to use 3 empty soda bottles to buy ice cream in the summers, only wore shoes when we went to school. Did my First communion at the church, they used to have menudo every Sunday after church, they would have fiestas at the church where there were games and bingo, we used to win little chicks when we tossed coins in a dish. We were all like family back in those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Victory Acres in the 60 s.married Ernieldo Subia and came as a bride.was a lot of fun and our family was full of love. People were poor but everyone worked hard and took care of their familys.i learned a lot about life living there.

      Delete
  21. Proud to be from la victoria still live here myself I will have my kids carry on the legacy and to be proud to be from la vic my parents and most of my cousins still live here es lvl til I die

    ReplyDelete
  22. No one can speak on others barrios be proud to come from hard working men n women migrant workers that actually worked the fields that victory acers resides on My family .. lived n still live there one of the first Mexicans in the barrio . To the founders of lost generations of respect hard workers ..to the gangsters grow up n follow the leaders .My auntie bought her house working at fields to janitor at asu. .. bills market ... Thank you for never calling police on my wino uncles n always helping my familiar n sons market as well

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was born and raised in La Victoria in 1964.
    My father came fro New Mexico and my mother from Colorado. They then met and from there on it was all history. My two older brothers & three younger sisters.
    I have so many memories and good times growing up in my neighborhood.
    Most of my familia Gutierrez still live there. Mr. Dons The Sunshine Market was one of our main hang outs. On nice cool evenings when all us friends that grew up together would just kick it and shoot the bull. And yes Bills Market does have the best chorizo and still does to this very date. I'm very proud to have grown up in a historic little neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My maternal grandparents moved to Victory Acres from West Virginia in 1947. They built a 3 room adobe house with a tin roof on George Dr just south of Victory on the east side of the street. The bathroom was a separate little house at the back off the kitchen. All the lots were double deep because Lebanon didn't go though between Victory and McArthur until in the 60s, maybe early 70s. Their neighbors to the south were Henry and Ida Macias and their kids Chuck and Barbara were my best friends. After my grandpa died my grandma sold the house to my Aunt and Uncle who later divided the lot and moved into a new house on the Lebanon side. I remember all the little markets in the neighborhood, especially Bill's and the Victory. We scavenged for pop bottles to cash in for penny candy, ran through the neighborhood along the irrigation ditches. My great aunt and uncle owned the big corner lot on the curve on McArthur and Evergreen by the canal. Another aunt and uncle lived over on Smith and Don Carlos. It was a poor neighborhood but everyone got along and it was safe for us kids to run arond in. It's changed so much that now it's been years since I drove through to reminisce. Not sure but I bet some of my cousins are probably still in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anyone have any info on the passing of Michael hernandez? Jamie Martínez brother?

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's my famliy hood Perez my dad moved us away but I'll always represent and have respect for that area Sammy aka peewee

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anyone have any info on the passing of Michael hernandez? Jamie Martínez brother?

    ReplyDelete
  28. AFR Dynamics offers the same day emergency repair services at no extra so that you don’t have to go a single day without the comfort you deserve. Our

    experienced technicians thoroughly assess the A/C systems and provide full-service repair at lower costs.

    Our Services-
    Affordable Air Conditioning Service Tempe Az
    Air conditioning chandler az
    AC repair glendale az
    Air conditioning supply mesa az
    Air Conditioning Services
    Heating Service

    Contact Us
    AFR Dynamics
    502 E Ingram St.Mesa AZ , 85203
    Phone - (480) 275-7535
    Website- https://afrdynamics.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. my family lived in victory acres on mc arther the james family I lived behid rivers maket I went to flora thew school first year it opened till middle school any one remember benny and porky perez thay were any good friends they got killed in a plane crash

    ReplyDelete
  30. My recording studio has been located at the edge of LA Victoria for almost ten years. Great Chicano neighborhood. New condos and apartment buildings knocking down the hood slowly but surely.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lived there for eleven years as a white man. A few friends and no enemies. I was heavily involved in neighborhood clean up after major drug busts around 1992. I was 'protected' near the last year or so by a good word from a young Latina LVL member, a friend. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know Joe Leon Jr “Payaso”

      Delete
  32. Does anybody know virginia mendoza zuniga.she has a sister by the name Christina?

    ReplyDelete